Saturday, April 20, 2013

Back!

Okay, I’m back.  I didn’t want to post because I had been gaining but after getting back to the weight I was when I started weight watchers back in the fall, I got back on the plan again.  However, this time I’m doing it slightly differently.  Actually, not slightly, with a MAJOR difference.  I’m following weight watchers with its cruel and draconian 26 points a day limit, but in addition, I’ve cut out sugar and white flour because they are such triggers for me.
My work clothes were getting frighteningly tight (I had actually grown out of my favorite winter work dress) and I was eating candy in bed so I had to do something before I hit 200, which was getting close (when I got back on plan I was up to 177).  It is super hard to be doing this but staying away from the sugar and flour ironically makes it easier overall because the insatiable desire for more and more and more sugar seems to get circumvented somewhat when I just avoid it.
 Again, trying to get to 137 (my goal is actually 138 because at 138 I can wear a size 6 and feel and look good) but according to the weight watchers web site 138 is still overweight for my height so I just put in the highest non-overweight weight it would let me.  That makes roughly 40 pounds to lose, which I figure should take a YEAR. Ouch, that hurts to write that, but a year is unfortunately pretty realistic because if you figure after the first few weeks where you lose a couple of pounds a week, weight loss settles down to about a .5 to 1 pound loss a week (realistic for someone my age), which makes roughly a year to lose 40 pounds.  I’m walking more and doing my hard exercise video less because of my knees, and just trying to be moderate in all things—exercise, eating, life in general.    
 Math.  If it takes roughly 3500 calories to lose a pound, that means I have a calorie overage of 140,000.  So over the next year, I have to create a caloric deficit of 140,000.  Of course this is hugely oversimplified and a lot of factors affect this, but it’s a good way to look at it.
Diet and exercise.  I’ve decided that I want to avoid medications and procedures at all costs.  I have a doctor’s appointment in a couple of weeks and I hope my numbers are good (not weight, but blood lipids, blood sugar, thyroid, etc).  So if she wants to put me on any medications for anything, I am going to ask if I can try diet and exercise instead. 

I'll be posting.  And by the way, I'm down 6 pounds from the end of March when I started back on the plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment