Saturday, November 3, 2012

Support Stockings

Disappointing news from the scale—I actually gained .4 pound, though I’m trying not to get too concerned.  It was a real minefield of a week, with my daughter’s birthday party and Halloween, but I stayed within my point range and ate very little Halloween candy, so I’m not sure what happened.  But, I intend to stay the course.  Maybe I’ll have a good loss next week.  I certainly look and feel better.  In fact, it’s hard to believe that I still have 30 pounds to lose because I feel so slim.  I guess it goes back to the New Normal (see earlier post) where I’ve gotten so used to being obese that even just a small weight loss and less tight clothes feels like I’ve met my goal!  But 166 is not where I need to be.

 Bad:  I saw the vascular surgeon and he said I had to wear support stockings for the rest of my life.  This is a problem in several ways.  First, they are expensive:  $65 bucks a pair.  Second, I live in a hot climate and I cannot imagine wearing these things on a 110-degree day.  I haven’t actually worn them yet, they were custom-fitted and have to be ordered, but I’m pretty sure they will be very hot.  Third:  I don’t wear pants to work.  Dress slacks have never worked for my short, squat body type so my entire work wardrobe is dresses and skirts.  How I’m going to wear hideous, thick beige support stockings with my work clothes is a mystery to me.  And I have too much invested in my work clothes to just stop wearing them.  Not sure how I’m going to work this out.  The support hose catalog and packaging I saw at the doctor’s office had pictures of slim, long-legged women in diaphonous minidresses, supposedly wearing the stockings, but I don’t believe it.  I will report back once I actually start wearing the hose.







Exciting news on the succulent front!  My baby toes mimicry plant (fenestraria)is about to flower!  I water it once a week and noticed a weird protrusion amongst the lobes yesterday.  It’s a flower bud!  I looked on line and once the bud opens it will look like a white daisy with yellow center!  I’m excited!  This plant is unique as it has translucent windows at the top of each lobe through which sunlight can penetrate.  I’ve also kept my split rocks alive longer than I ever have, and new lobes are forming in the center!  My brain plants (lithops) are hanging in there as well, though I don’t think I’ll be seeing any flowers from them this year. 

Bud on baby toes plant 


New lobes on split rock

Brain Plants hanging in there

One more piece of good news:  I found a perfect dress to wear to my daughter’s wedding next month.  Her colors are silver, black and bronze, and when I was at Dillards buying shoes for my youngest, I saw a great silver and black cocktail-type dress that I thought would be perfect, but I didn’t try it on because we were pressed for time and I wasn’t wearing good clothes for trying on dresses (i.e., control-top pantyhose).  Well, yesterday I went back to Dillards to try it on and not only did it fit and look great, it had been marked down 30% so I got it for 48 bucks!  Add a matching shrug as the wedding will be in cold weather, a great pair of shoes, and I’ll be set! 


 Great dress for daughter's wedding

No comments:

Post a Comment