Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Good Checkup

I had a checkup on Friday and it went well!  The doctor finally seemed to listen to my concerns!  There was the requisite weight scolding, but it wasn't too bad.  And I got referrals!  To a vascular surgeon for my foot and lower leg swelling!  An x-ray for my creaky knees!  I don't think it will show much but it's a needed first step in finding out what is going on with them.  A shingles vaccine prescription!  (Especially wonderful since this is typically only given to those over 60!)  And finally, the 50-year-old's rite-o-passage, a referral to the gastroenterology center for my first, fun colonoscopy

Yay!

I'm actually not being facetious about the "yay" except for the colonoscopy, because I'd really like to address these minor but irritating health issues now before they grow into bigger problems.  So, once I go to these appointments I will report back on what is (or isn't) going on.

In other news, my son arrived safely, will be staying at least through his sister's December 21 wedding, maybe longer.  Went out to lunch with him and my 6-year-old yesterday and had a nice time.  We went to the Burger King since it had a playground for the little one.  To my horror, however, the teeny weeny barely a few bites and very un-filling whopper junior I had was 7 weight watchers points.  I get 26 a day, so that was a big hit for not much satiation. 

Then I took him to the car wash to wash the cross-country road trip crud off his car.  I like his car a lot because it used to be mine and I gave it to him.  It's a 1997 Subaru GT, very sporty and fun with almost all the options available for a car of its vintage.  The cumbersome, slide-out-of-the-dash cup holder makes me laugh, and the black paint job is showing its age, but its still a neat car for a 22-year-old guy.  After the $11 Big Daddy Wash, it looked a lot better.  I even wiped off the interior surfaces.  I guess you never stop being the mom, even when they're this old.

It was nice to see him.  I hope he is able to get work and move on with his life while he's out here.

Still on the Weight Watchers and actually sort of enjoying it.  I'm hungry most of the time but somehow I'm coping with it.  However, my husband is going on a business trip for three days starting tomorrow, which I find extremely stressful, so it will be a real accomplishment if I manage to stay on.    Then the big Five-Oh hits in six days, and big fancy dinner is being planned.  I hope I can stay on track, or if I get off, manage to get right back on.  The "fine art of regrouping" is what Pamela Peeke, author of Fight Fat after Forty, calls it.  It's well nigh impossible for me, so it's an art form I'd like to cultivate.

Here is the latest shot of kitten cuteness.  Fergus is on the left, Merida on the right.  They're about 18 weeks old, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment